Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The wrong tie

I am in Italy today so decided that I should wear a suit and tie in order to fit in at least a little with the others. Having not worn a tie for a couple of years or more I am rather out of practice at matching ties to shirts and have gradually replaced most of my shirts over the intervening period.

There is a fine line between a bold but brilliant shirt and tie combination and one that is simply wrong. In the past I have been complimented on my ability to pick out a shirt and tie that others may shy away from, but I have been able to pull off

Today is not one of those days


I have been feeling self conscious about the green thing around my neck from the moment that I stepped out of my hotel room this morning and I am simply looking forward to taking it off and trying to redeem myself tomorrow with something a little better. I think this is the first time I have felt uncomfortable as a result of the colour of my tie, rather than because it is strangling me.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:38 pm

    I looked this picture and thought it was Ben!! How wierd is that! (And it wasn't the tie..!)I have never thought you looked similar before but you look like Ben in this photo

    Elaine
    PS I think the tie looks fine, but then I have never been noted for my good taste on the tie front

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is easy for me to look like Ben: Put on my glasses and look grumpy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:15 pm

    yep.
    poor tie choice & a concerned look & you could pass for any of the Millard men.
    I'm sure that it was more noticeable to you than to anyone else & everyone will be wowed by your sartorial elegance again tomorrow.
    Just let them all think that you are a dane!
    m

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:54 pm

    The tie does not seem to have impressed the brunette in the picture. Maybe they think you are a green academic wearing your heart on your chest. it could have been worse - remember Wallace and Grommit and the wrong trousers ? aj

    ReplyDelete