Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Favourite Things

As I rode around the woods on my bike on Monday evening searching for my lost sunglasses, I pondered the various material objects that I own and those that I covet. There are things that we own that serve a purpose without giving us any pleasure in their use, our iron perhaps being a good example of this, whereas there are other things that make you happy every time you use them.

Having considered this for a while I have come up with a list of the thing, maybe not an exhaustive list, but a list none the less of these things that make me happy every time I use them:

Salsa mountain bike - this is the first mountain bike I have owned with gears and suspension that works well for me, it has lots of nice shiny bits on it that I chose myself and it rides beautifully.

ipod classic - makes me happy every time I look at it and I love that podcasts update each week meaning that there is almost always something new to listen to when I want. It is also a beautiful object to touch and use.

Push lawn mower - I hated mowing the lawn before I bought this, it is quiet, has sharp blades so it cutes the grass well and provides me with a little bit of exercise whenever I use it.

Swiss army knife - I have a few of these and love them all, but this one is tactile and attractive at the same time.

Specialized cycling shoes - These were a fairly outrageous extravagance, but they are the most comfortable shoes that I own and they make me happy each time I put them on. ( I can't find a picture of them)
Pilot Capless fountain pen - A generous gift that I find particularly pleasing especially when loaded with purple ink. Whilst googling this picture I found that there is a special edition orange one now available that at least one person I know would like very much.

Occasionally you buy something expecting it to join your list of things that are a joy to own only to be disappointed by them in the long run. Perhaps that is part of the charm of your favourite things, you don't really know what they are until you have them.

Before I am accused of being materialistic, I do understand that these material possessions are not important, they are just nice little things!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:07 pm

    What's wrong with loving your iron?
    Ben does - we talked about it on Sunday.
    How did I know that a bike would top the list?
    I love most of my possessions to a greater or lesser degree, I'm getting rid of the other things, slowly.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:10 pm

    Is that the same knife that you nearly chopped your finger off with at school?

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:15 am

    Very Slowly!

    ReplyDelete