Thursday, April 17, 2008

Rules I can't keep

Some time ago I posted some rules that are supposed to help you to eat healthily and lose weight. I read them again this morning and I can see that whilst there are some that I can life by, there are others that are beyond my abilities

Since February I have succeeded in

  • Giving up soft drinks about 95% of the time. I can't remember the last coke, diet or normal that I drank.
  • I have not been drinking beer or any other alcohol on a regular basis
  • More or less stopping eating snacks in front of the TV after dinner
  • Avoiding putting chocolate and other sugary temptations in front of myself.
  • Cutting down on my intake of starchy food like potatoes, rice and pasta at lunchtimes

I have however failed the following:

  • Cutting out sugar altogether. I suspect that this is like stopping breathing.
  • Not eating sweets or other treats that are put in front of me by other people. I blame this on my upbringing - I think it is simply rude to say no thanks when offered a cake
  • I can't cut out all starchy food in the evenings because that's what people eat in this part of the world and I am pretty hungry when I get home from work leading to the biggest problem:
  • I keep snacking when I get home. I try to make sure that there is nothing worth eating in the cupboards, but my ingenuity and live of dry breakfast cereal seems to get the better of me on a regular basis

The results:

On the positive side I have lost about 5kg in total mass and I am sure that I have also converted a few more kilos back into muscle from fat. My legs have started to show a little muscle tone and I can easily ride my bike for a couple of hours at a pretty good pace. There is still plenty of lard to use up in the pursuit of athletic perfection and I am taking a long term view that by the end of 2014 I should look like this:


Michael "The Chicken" Rasmussen - Danish almost winner of the Tour de France.

By way of showing off a little, I cycled home from work last night in just over 1½ hours with a tail wind in the sunshine. This morning I cycled back to work into the wind with persistent rain. It was not fun at all and took 1:45.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:33 pm

    why on earth would you want to look like that saddo? He looks like a belsen inmate and clearly has an identity crisis and bad taste in barbers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:48 am

    Ditto, though not quite such harsh thoughts.
    Blame it on your mother, of course.
    You ate the cake because you like cake.
    You would search the house all day to find aome hidden calories - the easy way to entertain you - hide a square of chocolate & go out!
    You are not meant to be very skinny - that's why God gave you an appetite.
    Have an enormous fruit bowl (full) to snack on, you can sometimes kid your stomach that it wanted fruit, not chocolate!
    m

    ReplyDelete