Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Analytic Cycling

Nerd alert!


There is a great website called analyticcycling.com that allows you to determined how much faster or slower you will go by changing various things about the way that you ride a bike. The variables that can be changed are almost endless from the coefficient of friction between you and the road, your frontal area (relating to wind resistance), your power output and of course your weight.

I decided that I ought to find out how much weight I need to lose to beat my previous time in the Marmotte bike race next summer by enough to earn a gold award.
Look at this clever chart that shows how much time you save as the road goes up and your weight goes down.
Last time the ride took me about 10½ hours, I was sitting at the side of the road eating or getting food for about 45 minutes so I think I need to find another 45 minutes to an hour in order to reach the 8 hours and 49 minutes required for the gold award. I think I weighed about 100kg last time and I weigh about 105 at the moment.

The race covers 175km with 5000 vertical metres of climbing so if I can get the same level of fitness, guess how much weight I need to lose.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:28 pm

    Could pedalling more quickly be the answer?
    May I make the first guess at your necessary weight loss - 15 kg?
    I think that I should lose 10kg.
    I have cut down on drink & chocolate - putting a store in for MK.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:41 pm

    Is the nerd alert because I have finally accessed your blog ? aj
    (still wheely boring)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked my time from 2005 and it took me 9 hours anr 54 minutes so I only need to take an hour off in total, that means that I should reduce the eating time by half an hour and the biking time by half an hour meaning that I should be OK if I can lose 10kg I should be OK. The only problem is that I am starting 5kg over the last time so in total i need to shed 15kg :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently if I eat 2750 cals per day until the end of next June then I will be down to race weight. I have no idea what that really means in terms of food though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:01 pm

    See, I was spot-on with 15kg & that was merely a guess from seeing you at breakfast, shivering in you vest & pants.
    2750 calories a day is an enormous amount.
    I try to stick to 1000cal to lose weight, I should think that 2000 would be tops.
    Who counts calories anyway?
    Too easy to cheat on portion size.
    You know what you should be avoiding - easy when you shop/eat for one!
    No excuses!
    mother

    ReplyDelete
  6. replica bags online advice z8n05i9t35 replica bags in pakistan recommended you read v0b25b4l87 replica bags china replica bags philippines greenhills original site z8n08j0y68 best replica designer bags replica bags in london

    ReplyDelete