Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Winter Stew

Autumn must be just around the corner, it's getting cooler, some leaves are changing colour and we had stew for dinner. I started with a large hunk of meat with a bone in the middle (shank?) browned it, chucked in some carrots, leeks, garlic and chillies and fried that all up a bit. Then i poured a bottle of red wine in and added bay leaves and some thyme. After 2½ hours there was a wonderfully tender and rich pot roast thing ready to serve with some creamy mash.

The weekend ha been otherwise unremarkable. I put up a shelf above DKs changing table, ironed a bit, mowed the lawn and did some ironing. J and DK had some pictures taken on Saturday morning. J made a big effort not to smile so I suspect that the results may not be too stellar. I did have a go myself though on the sofa.


I managed to fail miserably at getting out on my bike despite the sunshine so I'll have to make an extra effort to ride to and from work this week.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:21 pm

    Not family photos?
    J looks to have managed a stellar smile - any more & he would have dislocated his jaw. What did you say?
    A whole bottle - not even a swig for the cooks?
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. great photos! interesting that I just cooked pot roast and mashed potatoes too! no wine but really good
    WRM

    ReplyDelete