Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Unexpected Showers


I have spent the lat couple of days at home with J and to be honest they have been the easiest days we have ever had together. The poor little chap is very much under the weather and having not eaten properly for several days he is running on empty. Just to underline how out of sorts he is, he slept through the night last night (that is about the 6th time in his 2½ years!)

Having said that it was easy, it was also a little sad that he was happy to just sit still do little more than watch the tv. There was one thing that brought him to life without fail though: bringing out the medicine.

The mere sight of a medicine bottle brings out some deeply rooted fears and he does everything he can to avoid the stuff including trying to hide behind the microwave oven. At some point during the afternoon after many attempts at bribery and persuasion, I decided to have a go at forcing him to take the stuff for his own good. As soon as he saw the loaded syringe there was scream and he hid under the cushions on the settee. When I got him out and onto my lap he did everything he could to keep the stuff from getting into his mouth, but I finally overcame his defences and squirted a bit into his mouth. He gurgled and spat a bit, but I though I could get the whole 7,5ml in with the next go. So it did.

He had the last laugh (neither of us actually laughed, but never mind) as he threw up everything he had consumed over the last couple of hours (milk, bread rolls and fruit bars) all over both of us. Urgh.
After a quick dash to the bathroom to strip off and clean up I decided that he'd probably get better on his own and I really couldn't think of any other way to get him to take the stuff.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:04 pm

    We have quite often forced medecine into our children in this way. Strangely, over time, they both decided to develop a liking for the stuff so it got a lot easier.

    Did you actually read 'The Life of Pi?'. If so, you need to encourage me to carry on..I knew there was a reason we gifted the first copy to the Charity shop. I am two pages in and can't bear it, so tedious.

    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:42 pm

    Sounds like you need a granny out there I will bring my protective clothing along with the extra strong tea bags & biscuits.

    I didn't get far with The Life of Pi" - can you tell which page the most ambitious reader got to, E?
    m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:06 am

    I thought the first half of Life of Pi was very good - the little boy growing up in India and joining multiple religions.
    Once he goes to sea when they move the zoo it goes on and on and on.
    So if you don't like the first pages I don't think there is much hope for you. Except that you have to discuss it at your book club.
    I sent you another book today - Alice Sebold.
    WRM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed the book although I found some of the first hald hard work. I would stick with it as I enjoyed the second half much more (opposite to WRM as usual). Apparently we have given up on the medicine!

    ReplyDelete