Thursday, February 28, 2008

Calm again

Now that I have recovered somewhat from finding out about the car being dented I can get back to my usual daily pursuits: Thinking about bikes and doing stuff.

As it happens at the moment there is not much stuff to do so I am thinking about bikes more to compensate. I love all of the constructive criticism that my bike related post seem to attract so I thought I'd let you all know that thinking has resulted in the narrowing down of my new bike purchase to final short list of 3:

Gary Fisher Paragon



Reasonable value aluminium frame with OK parts, not exciting, but a sensible middle of the road choice and a nice bike.
Gary Fisher Superfly


Dream bike category. Carbon fibre frame and top notch everything. Expensive, lovely and exclusive.

Salsa Mamasita



Only available as a frame so I need to build it myself which means I get all the bits I want (well more like the bits I can afford otherwise it goes off the price scale). Very nice Scandium and carbon fibre frame, would be a great bike if I can get all the bit together.

The problems are that the first two are only available to collect in person from a shop so I would almost certainly have to go to the UK to fetch them. The last one will have to come from several different places and hence there will be a lot of big boxes to sort out and I am not sure if G&G are prepared to bring all of that stuff to Denmark for me. I can get more or less all of it mailed to me at home though so this is not a huge problem.

I am pretty sure that I am going with the Salsa for now but please feel free to chime in with such constructive comments as "you don't need a new bike" and "what's wrong with the bikes that you have?" and "you had a new bike 5 years ago" etc etc.
Tonight MK is meeting me at the airport which is really nice since it saves me a lot of messing around with trains. We are going to Ilva on the way home to look at beds for J. He pretty much fills his cot now and we want him to have lost interest in the cot before there is someone else needing to use it.

It's been a few weeks since I assembled some flat pack anyway.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:13 pm

    Aren't these girls bikes?
    /L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:30 pm

    You can borrow my "Raleigh" if you are careful with it - girly alloy frame Two wheels & gears, so it seems to fit the bill!
    m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:55 pm

    Where is the Moots?
    WRM

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes of course they are girls bikes :-)
    I don't want to ever have another Raleigh and there is no Moots there because a Moots frame alone costs as much (almost) as the most expensive bike here before even thinking about the fact that nobody sells them here and there is at least a 10 week wait for a frame. There are certainly no used ones available

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say Salsa! ;) I know I love mine. I would check with some mail orders shops. Even ones here in the States like Bikeman.com or Speedgoat.com and see about parts/build kit discounts when you buy a frame. Plus you may be able to have them do partial build on the bike and cut down on the freight. Worth a call or e mail for sure. I know both companies above sell Kona and Salsa.

    Good luck and have fun bike shopping!

    ReplyDelete