Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Hemingway

Having recently read a very dry history of the Russion Revolution I decided it was time to move onto some classic literature. I actually bought Hemingway and the Russian history at the same time in Borders in Boulder when I was planning on getting a bit of classic American culture.

I have previously read a collection of Hemingway's short stories and been somewhat underwhelmed, but on the assumption that the guy is not idolised by Michael Palin for nothing I decided to give him another shot.


I am about half way through For whom the bell tolls and so far it has been superb. The characters have wonderful depth and the short snappy delivery makes the pace of the book unrelenting and exciting. I have the above edition but when I did a quick google for the cover I found this first edition below which looks much more interesting.

I'll definitely be reading some more Hemingway, perhaps not immediately after this, but I am blown away by this book and for once can see why so called classic literature has earned the title rather than finding the reading dull and slow. (see Dickens for details...)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:12 pm

    The Hemingway book sounds good, I will read it when I get time (on the train to work in about 4 weeks time!).
    In the meantime I have to read 'Life of Pi' for my book group. This is rather annoying as Ben and I decided we didn't like the look of it and gave our copy to the charity shop about a year ago...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We may have a copy of the life of pi if it is not urgent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:05 pm

    I need to read it by 25th February, as I appear to have organised to go to book group on my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:12 am

    I have W's copy, I'm pretty sure. @'ll bring it over.
    g

    ReplyDelete