Wednesday, January 07, 2009

A Prairie Home Companion


One of the stranger thins that I have become a fan of during my trips to the US is a radio show called A Prairie Home Companion and in particular the "news from Lake Wobegon" that Garrion Keiller writes and reads each week. When I got home after my short skiing visit in November 2007 I found the podcast and have been listening to it each week since then.

This week I was happy to see that the movie was being shown on Danish TV and so sat awkwardly on our re-positioned sofa to watch it. My conclusions were as follows:
  • Garrison Keiller has a great face for radio
  • There is a good reason that this is a radio show and not a TV series
  • Woody Harrelson is a surprisingly good singer
  • There was no news from Lake Wobegon in the film
  • and finally it was pleasantly brief
You can have a look at the website here and get the podcast here

I will still listen to and enjoy the podcast and next I can read the Lake Wobegon book that I was bought for Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:37 pm

    I loved the movie! - I have been listening to the show for a long time though and the BBC used to read Tales from Lake Wobegon 20 years agon on Radio 4. I thought Meryl Streep was a fantastic country singer. I agree that the Lake Wobegon was an omission but there is probably a reason for it. I liked to see Garrison - as I think he probably is. Tommy Lee Jones was funny too I thought.
    Sorry you didn't like it much. You forgot to mention your day bought you the book for Christmas!
    wrm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:42 pm

    Wobegon tales was a favourite of Jane's - I am fairly sure we have the cassette tapes of the series somewhere. They were broad cast on BBC abot 12 years ago or so and are as you say quietly amusing.
    If the singing in 'Mamma Mia' was antyhing to go by Meryl Streep did the right thing being an actress! ( I thougt MM was dire!!) G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:30 pm

    We have a Lake Wobegon book somewhere, but it is best listened to on radio 4. (as rs many things)
    m

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did mention that I got the book for Christmas. I saw a review of the film that it was gentle entertainment and that is about right. I think that is also a reasonable view of the radio program. It did make me laugh, but I was missing some of the wit from GKs usual monologues.
    The advertisement for duct tape was funny though.

    ReplyDelete