Monday, January 05, 2009

Brass Monkey

I am gradually getting back into a groove with the exercise thing and watching what I eat. At the moment, this is still a novelty and I am sure it will wear off in due course.

Yesterday I rode for a couple of hours in sub zero (Celsius) temperatures on my winter/commuter bike. For the first time it worked as intended and I managed and entire trip without a puncture. Truly a result.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I am not in as bad shape as I feared I may be and I managed around 50km without feeling too tired.

What should have been exciting was getting my new bike computer calibrated and working correctly. This computer is able to calculate your power output based on measuring environments and physical conditions. There are accelerometers built into it that measure the head wind being experienced, acceleration, gradient etc and a speed sensor. This combined with information about the rider and bike size and weight are used to calculate the number of Watts that you are producing. Apparently this is fairly accurate too!

One the down side, nothing with an LCD works well below 0 Celsius and it states in the handbook that the battery life is 40-80 hours in the warm and 4-6 hours at 7 C.

Perhaps this will have to wait for some warmer weather...

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:07 pm

    Well done.
    It is too icy to cycle here - sub-zero all day, with a little snow.
    P & aj have gone home.
    I couldn't cope with a computer telling me the state of my body - I actually feel pretty good.
    I may cycle in March.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. how about some weight confessions over on bigwilliamsworld
    too bad about the 'puter - resistance drops with temperature and lower resisitance means higher current I suppose.
    yes wait till spring - only another six months away!
    wrm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:07 pm

    how about some weight confessions over on bigwilliamsworld
    too bad about the 'puter - resistance drops with temperature and lower resisitance means higher current I suppose.
    yes wait till spring - only another six months away!
    wrm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing small with an LCD works well bellow freezing, it is not the first time I've had this problem with a bike computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:06 pm

    Some big things without an LCD slow down a bit below freezing as well.
    m

    ReplyDelete