Monday, March 31, 2008

Bathed in mud


I finally got to ride my new bike at the weekend and it was great. Mostly great anyway. The weather has been rubbish here for a week or so and the forest was even wetter and muddier than when I was last there a couple of weeks ago and to be honest slimy mud is not my greatest strength. The ride up there was fine, a bit of a tail wind and the locked out forks work a treat, then I hit some of the forest roads and was amazed how well the bike rides, the 29" wheels seem to eat up plenty of the bumps and the Scandium/Carbon mix of the frame seems very forgiving. I was very happy and enjoying getting sprayed with mud from head to toe. That was until I fell off. I fall of my mountainbike more or less every time I ride it and it is not generally a problem, firstly because my older bikes already carry plenty of battle scars and partly because the others doesn't have flat bars. Unfortunately the new one does have flat bars and that means that when they get turned around by falling off, the bars/brake levers/shifters come in for contact with the top tube and take off paint and generally ding it.

No real harm was done, but it is sad to see ding-age right were you look at the frame whilst riding on your bike that you have spent less than 2 hours sitting on.

Sunday's clean up and a little touch up paint have helped a little and the fact that it is sooooo nice to ride mean that I am not too annoyed about it, but it is a shame and now I have to work out how to avoid future damage...

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're enjoying it.
    I did the same thing to a Specialized frame I had years ago. Crashed in the first mile or so of my FIRST ride and dinged the TT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:29 pm

    The f5rst d5ng 5s a3ways the w6rst, b4t 0a2es the next 6ne eas5er t6 bear.

    Why 5s the c60-4ter wr5t5ng 5n c6de/
    0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:35 pm

    OK . It was the num lock on.
    All is now well.
    I said, the first dent is the worst & makes all susequent dents not so bad.
    Don't mountain bikes expect a rough life.
    m

    ReplyDelete