Wednesday, August 17, 2011

School report

J's first day at school seems to have gone well. He was happy when he got home and enjoyed himself. There are only 22 kids in his class and most of them seem to be girls. Unfortunately, this morning he didn't want to go back.

Yesterday the new ones were all assigned a buddy from the 5th grade (I think) who is going to look after them as they settle in to the school. J was happy with his new friend, but was quite concerned that he wouldn't be sitting with him all day today to explain what was going on AND he was concerned that they would be reading and writing today which he doesn't know how to do!

By the time I had dropped him off, he had forgotten all of his fears and was happy to be there before the bell went. I took him into the playground and he had a big smile for me as he waved goodbye.

If I think back to my first day at Shustoke school when I was left at the gate (as I am told parents were instructed to do), then it is a much less traumatic experience. Apparently one of the girls yesterday was even allowed to go home half way through the morning because she didn't like it.

They finished at 11:30 yesterday which included a break and lunchtime so it wasn't too taxing. A normal day will finish at 12:30 and then he goes to the SFO which is a day care institution attached to the school where they can play and or do their homework until being fetched by parents at some point before it closes at 17:00.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:55 am

    Glad J didn't mind having to go back for a second day.
    I really did have to leave you at the gate - Mrs Harris's instructions, I didn't do it willingly.
    I was most concerned about you, especially as it was your second "first day".
    Perhaps they knew best.
    Are you home from 14 Oct?
    Have a good day.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are home from 14th Oct and MK and the boys will be on holiday from the 17th so it is a good week to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:01 pm

    As I pointed out to my kids, girls are usually better at school and know what they are doing, so sit next to the cleverest girl (obviously not the one bunking off at lunchtime) and play for the sympathy vote so she'll let him copy her work.
    Special Forces training in the afternoon, sounds like Jeremy has it cracked. aj

    ReplyDelete