Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Idiocy

Whilst cleaning my bike at the weekend I set about taking the nasty pump mount off and replacing the non matching bottle cage bolts with nice new red anodised ones. All went well until I reached the last bolt and realised that I had cross threaded it when I put the pump holder on before the marmotte. Bugger.

I had ruined the first half of the thread and frankly didn't really know how to fix it myself without a big risk of ruining everything. I decided to head off to the bike shop to get it fixed which turned out to be a good idea. He reamed out the knackered few millimetres of thread so that the bolt went into the good thread and solved the problem. I guess I could have done that, but the risk was just too high for me.

Whilst there I spent some time (more time than is healthy) talking to the guys about race wheels and what would be an appropriate choice for me to use. I don't think I actually reached a conclusion and I am still pondering which ridiculously expensive bling hoops I should be getting to put on my bike as I puff around at the back of the pack trying not to get dropped. I am still a few kilograms away from a 6 pack, but it is going in the right direction and I am determined to be competitive towards the end of this season and come out fighting in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment