Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Riots

What on earth is going on in the UK? Riots???

I suppose it has happened a few times in my life over things like the poll tax and other things I can't remember but it still comes as a shock, especially as it appears to me to have started over a local incident in London which (according to the BBC) was then misreported via Twitter and provoked all of the anger. On the other hand, it appears to have been a poor excuse for a bunch of scum bags to go out stealing stuff.

Does anyone have any good ideas for flooring in our basement. The quote of 125,000kr (£13,000 or $20,000) is waaaaay too much to consider for the minimal benefit will give to our lives so now we need to find an alternative. I am considering paint...

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:37 am

    Riots spread to B'ham last night - city centre.
    Bull Ring closed early & 100 arrested, mainly youngsters.
    I think that you sum it up correctly - youths are bored during summer holidays & looking for excitement, stirred up by theiving scumbags, who move in to loot.
    Bring back depoetation to a faraway island, parwental visits allowed, on a one way ticket.
    Oh dear. I sound like a Daily Mail reader, but I cannot relate to such behaviour in a relatively prosperous country with an expensive, universal education system.
    "Schools Out" has always given rise to some anti-social behaviour, but this is shaming.

    Anyway, paint sounds a very good idea, you could put flooring in the used areas.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:51 pm

    Dont paint , we did it once and at was just troubles after some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:16 pm

    We could cut their hands off or burn them
    Or drown them?!
    Laminate flooring us popular here. I've installed a lot of it. Originally patented by Pergo in Sweden. Now there are many cheap ripoffs here which work well. Floor floats on backing a bit like bubble wrap. Planks interlock and you have to leave a cm. Gap all-round the edge. The original idea was to take it up and take it with you when you move house.
    Moisture could be a problem with paint but no doubt there is one available for basements.
    wrm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes there is special breathable paint available (I guess that is what is down now too) and I have fitted laminate flooring in a bathroom in my house in Tamworth along with the linoleum tiles which click together in our kitchen with is the same principal. The real problem is that the area is so large that it will cost a fortune whatever we do (unless we paint) and I am worried about dampness...
    I'll check out laminates though

    ReplyDelete