Thursday, November 18, 2010

Guitar


Before we went to England, I had become somewhat interested in the ukelele having heard someone playing one on a podcast that I enjoy. I didn't think much more about it, but I did think to ask Ben about his guitar(s) and how he got on with them. I was rather impressed with his playing - his teacher "couldn't teach him any more" - and gradually began to think about playing myself.

I have investigated lessons and found what appears to be a good resource for learning online with lessons for free that some nice guy has put onto youtube as an entire course (justinguitar.com), failing that, our next door neighbour is a music teacher and I have seen him with a guitar case on his back before now when heading out on his bike.

However, there is a problem, I don't have a guitar. I have looked around the web and the general advice is that you have to try before you buy so blind mail order seems to be out and the used ones I have found are very expensive (mostly several hundred pounds) or just junk so I think I may end up going to the guitar shop in CPH and getting some advice on a new one. I suspect I may end up with one the same as Ben has.

Anyway, it seems like a perfect thing to do this winter and I hope that all the hours I spent learning to play the piano may come in handy when I get around to picking up a plectrum.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:54 pm

    L has an old acoustic guitar sitting in the basement that you're welcome to try out - although it surely needs a good tuning :-) We decided to sell L's good guitars and electric bass a couple of years ago since they were never used...
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:43 pm

    Yes please !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:07 pm

    I knew that you would appreciate those piano/theory lessons one day.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:44 am

    Wow, endless winter spending opportunities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been trying to find a cheap used one, but most of the used ones in the paper were very expensive. I don't think people bother to sell the ones that don't cost a fortune, they probably sit in peoples basements collecting dust.

    ReplyDelete