The general advice is that the higher the fat content the better so I am sticking to double cream, Greek yoghurt and cheeses. I try to limit all of them, but without too much success as I eat yoghurt most days and cheese at least a couple of times each week. The other aspect of dairy that is considered important is that the products should be:
- Grass fed (for the health of the cows and the quality of the milk)
- Organic (reduced presence of antibiotics and hormones used to increase milk production)
- Non homogenised (the fat particles in homogenised milk are so small that they can pass through the gut lining and are not digested correctly)
- Full Fat (reduced fat dairy increases insulin response and therefore potential fat storage)
- Fermented (the bacteria that cause the fermenting process should be good for gut health)
- Raw (this is a tough one as it is tough to get hold of, but the pro-biotics in raw dairy should improve the balance of good bacteria in the gut)
I should try giving it up totally for a month and see how I feel and if there is any improvement in my itchy skin, allergies and or body fat which seems to be pretty stable these days but not quite as low as I want it to be.