Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A weekend off

The weekend in Vienna was really nice, but it didn't really feel like our normal lives, it was odd. We don't travel all that much these days and we do even less without the kids. Staying in a nice hotel and eating consecutive meals in restaurants began to feel a little like we were cheating somehow or other and the repercussions were bound to catch up with us.

Thankfully, that turns out to have been nothing more than paranoia, but I was surprised by it none the less. I even missed the kids a bit.

The Viennese are famous for their cakes and it seems to be with good reason. There are plenty of light and delicate fruity or chocolate cakes and a whole range of creamy strudel type things, but I think my favourite was these yeast buns (so the translation goes). The seem to be like baked apricot jam doughnuts served in a generous portion of very good custard. I suspect that they are not a healthy option, but on a cold wet day, they were just the ticket.

The enormous breakfast buffet in the hotel was also fantastic, there was just about everything you could wish for and the quality was very good. They even served good, strong Assam tea in tea pots. What more could you wish for? It's a good job we enjoyed the breakfasts though as they turned out to be the most expensive meals we had all weekend!

Now I need to get the lawns mown, my bikes cleaned and everything else ready for the dust cup round 3 tomorrow night...

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:41 pm

    Sounds woderful.
    Does the Dust Cup start at 3.ooam?
    Didn't Lightning Mcqueen take part once?
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get the 3:00 comment, but it starts at 18:10.
    I think you are confusing the dust cup with the piston cup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:13 pm

    If it were piston perhaps it wouldn't be so dusty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:13 am

    What no operas? I did four in three days there once.
    No Zacher Torte? No Wiener mélange?
    It was usually cold and wet when I was there too
    wrm

    ReplyDelete