Thursday, May 27, 2010

Toyota testing

I'd completely forgotten what it is like to drive a small underpowered car. Crap.



Yesterday we had a test drive in a Toyota Aygo and it was in fact worse than I was expecting. My expectations were already low but on top of the expected poor performance was the loudness of the engine. It is not so long since we had the Fiat Punto which was actually quiet and civilised to drive, but the Aygo made a lot of fuss about accelerating and didn't do much of it. Never mind, I think I'll have plenty of time to get used to it, because I am fairly sure that we will buy one tomorrow. There is a special edition Red Line with a special metallic paint colour and fancy alloy wheels almost for free compared with the standard model and I wanted a red one anyway.

It's a shame that the Punto is £2000 more expensive to buy and apparently significantly more expensive to own in the long run (road tax, depreciation, fuel economy etc etc)

Anyway, it will be good to reduce our carbon footprint in some way and save on petrol.

Whilst looking for a picture I can see that the prices have gone down a bit. The Red Line is 107596 kr whilst the absolute base model is 86299kr. Is it worth 21297kr extra (nearly 25%) to have metallic paint, alloy wheels, central locking and 5 doors instead of 3? I am beginning to think not...


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:55 pm

    I have to agree. Accept that it's small & basic & love it for what it is - it will never grow up to be a volvo!
    Sunny here today.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:42 pm

    Electric windows, not necessary while I can manage to use the winder; central locking, well I thought there would only be me driving so that was unnecessary; air con,good fan or open the windows, alloys, a temptation for the local thieving classes , so I saved the money for extras. Turn up the radio so you can't hear the engine and drive. It easily goes over eighty on the motorway and you still have the acceleration to move into the fast lane. Cheap road tax,65 miles to the gallon,holds it's value better than the same citroen C1 and Peugeot 107 simply, Aygo, I go , I go I go ,I go Igo wanne.... just don't lean on the bodywork or drive into people 'cos it's only a toy motor. aj

    ReplyDelete