Monday, May 10, 2010

Getting old and feeling old

Friday may well represent some sort of watershed moment in the aging process for me. I have been getting tired eyes and headaches a bit recently so MK talked me into having an eye test. The result was that my short sightedness has not deterioirated, but I apparently now need to wear varyfocals ! That is really depressing.

Some time this week, I will have to go back to the optician with MK to chose a new frame and fork out some cash. One thing that has thankfully changed since I was last in a Danish optitian is that Spec Savers have bought one of the chains, that means that the prices are now much more in line with UK prices and I won't come out of the experience feeling like I dropped the soap in the showers of the high security wing of a prison for agressive gay gorillas.


Anyway the weekend only got better after that. We had really good sushi for supper and I spent Saturday riding in a 12 hour mountain bike race in a team with a couple of guys I met at the race last Wednesday. Before the timing system failed about 3/4 of the way through the race (there is a back up and we will get the results eventually) we were told that we were 23rd out of I think 160 teams but that may be completely wrong. It was a great day and I was completed exhausted at the end of it. I only rode for 3 sessions of 1 hour 10 minutes, but it was full speed all the time so by the last lap I was cramping quite a lot and slowing down a bit. I did managed the fastest lap for our team though which I was pleased about. I can still feel it in my legs today, but I guess I'll get over it.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:00 pm

    Varifocals as we call them over here - a little premature.
    I was nearer 50 when I needed them.
    Since I only feel 39 this doesn't mean much as I'm sure that I only felt 29 at the time.
    You'll need bigger lenses to get both slices in.
    Congrats on the cycling front.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:49 pm

    Lets all get depressed, why not just order the white stick now, it'll help with the sore legs too!

    BTW is forking out a cycling term?

    ReplyDelete