Thursday, May 06, 2010

Green Winter

Yesterday someone described our current weather as the Danish Green Winter and that seems pretty appropriate. The sun comes out from time to time, there are some leaves appearing on the trees and it is light later in the evenings, but it is still cold. We have turned the heating off in the house so we are all cold all the time and I think it got down to about 2 degrees last night (outside of course).

The Dust Cup last night went reasonably well. I had to start near the back since I missed the first race and didn't qualify to be further up the field. As a result I had to watch a lot of people ride off before I could click in and get going myself. Knowing how these things work out, I had to sprint past as many of them as I could before the first bit of singletrack so that I didn't get completely stuck. That worked out OK and in the end I was 216 out of about 350. I hope to do better next time as I hope to start nearer the front and because I will be armed with a new and important piece of information. The race is 1 hour and 15 minutes plus the rest of the lap you are on and not 1 hour plus your lap. That meant that I totally ran out of energy on the last lap although I was only a minute or 2 slower, I did lose about 10 places. Next time I will be better prepared.

At the end of the race I met a couple of guys working for Mærsk who are short of a rider for the H12 12 hour race at the weekend. I was supposed to be doing a road race on Sunday, but I think I may join them instead if I can get the bike sorted out by then and if the predicted weather doesn't show up otherwise it will be more brown than green...

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:36 pm

    We call it Spring over here - I would suggest that you turn the heating back on until the weather is warmer - it's still quite chilly here so we shall have the heating on until global warming sorts it out.
    Glad the cycling went well.
    m

    ReplyDelete