Monday, March 01, 2010

Slush Cup #7

Yesterday was the last round of the Slush Cup mountain bike race series and was conveniently located in Sorø (about 10 miles up the road). The weather was actually quite nice being +4ish C and with the odd bit of sun. I was also feeling fairly smug about the amount of training I have managed in the last week although I was also a bit tired after 3 hours in the saddle on Saturday.


Anyway I rode my bike to the race site and got myself in the middle of the pack on the start line as I was supposed to and got a rally great start. I think I passed about 30 people on the opening loop around the stock piles of the quarry where the race was help. Unfortunately it was downhill from there and not at all in the gravity assisted descending way.

I am 4th from the left above.

We headed out into 20-30 cm (foot) deep slush and snow around another part of the quarry, through rivers of mud and then out into the forest for a long walk/run with the bikes. I fell off repeatedly and in just about every way imaginable in the deep, heavy snow and mentally gave up about half way through the lap. I did manage to get through the whole thing and I suppose on reflection it was sort of fun although I was very wet and muddy at the end.


Final result for the day, I was 60th out of 98 and overall I was 125th out of 268 for the Slush Cup. I thought that was OK considering that I missed 2 rounds (1 whilst DK and MK were in hospital and 1 because of illness)
Now I am looking forward to the summer version of the series, the Dust Cup and getting some road racing done as well.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:58 pm

    The key is in the name!Slush
    Does sound like a reasonable result though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:06 pm

    Is a "rally good start" a spiffingly good one?
    Congratulations.
    Is there any surprise that you fall off in deep snow?
    It sounds as though a "sledge drawn by huskies cup" would be more fun.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:09 pm

    Does the "dust cup" also have any unpleasant features connected to it's name ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:26 am

    Dust?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:56 am

    DK, J and I went to watch. The boys loved the enormous slush/mud puddles. Very good for jumping around in, and to get very, very dirty.
    MK

    ReplyDelete