Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Karma


I am somewhat perplexed about my current levels of karma. Last week whilst I was riding my bike home from work I had a flat tyre. Now that is not a good thing and given that the tyres were new and I have never had a flat with that type of tyre before I was a little irritated. However, given that my route home is predominantly unlit and uninhabited, I was very lucky that it happened where I could shelter from the rain and see what I was doing outside an estate agent's window.

This morning I rode to work again and made it almost all the way to the office without incident. Unfortunately I got a slow puncture about 2km from the office. I stopped and blew it up rather than replacing the tube and set off again. I got within a 100m or so of the gate before I had to walk.

So is this good karma because the flats are happening at relatively convenient times or bad karma because they are happening at all?

5 comments:

  1. to hell with Karma - figure out what is causing the flats and fix or avoid it!
    Use Karma to explain away more complex things - like so many people use religion.
    Love the illustration of Karma though!
    wrm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe in it either, but that isn't the point. It's just that part of me sees the bad luck to get the flat and the other sees the good fortune to see that it could have been more inconvenient.
    Not much more can be done, new tyres with lots of puncture resitant features. I will try to get some of these strips that go inside the tyres to protect the tubes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:05 pm

    Luck doens't exist either, in my opinion. Karma, on the other hand is a very logical explanation for the way life is. I would say that this tire thing is just like anything else going on...it's not about good or bad luck,just little tests so you can be aware of how you react to them. Does the part of you that saw it as bad luck felt somewhat the same as when you were talking about the incompetent health system? There are great things happening around, pay attention to them instead, and this bad luck thought will go away... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. how can anyone say that luck doesn't exist but karma does? That is bollocks. I do think you can make your own luck by being mindful of where you are and what you are doing and what impact that may have on what happens to you in the future.
    The health service is neither luck nor karma, just annoying.
    Finally, i just thought it was funny that i got two flat, both at convenient times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:24 pm

    What is "Karma"?
    I'll google it & then disagree with you all.
    m

    ReplyDelete