Friday, December 12, 2008

If all else fails

Read the instructions...

When I fitted the brakes the (boring) new bike a couple of weeks ago I didn't bother reading the instructions. Perhaps that is why I can't get the back brake to work. I have just watched a video on YouTube of a SRAM employee with bad hair showing how to set them up and i can see that I was way off with my efforts. Perhaps I can fix it and there won't have been any damage done beyond a bit of excessive pad wear.

My other achievement in the last 24 hours is considerably more stupid though. I have a Citizen eco-drive watch that recharges it's own battery from a solar cell. The watch has been in a drawer for a while so when I put it on yesterday it needed some juice in the form of UV light. Low energy light bulbs are no good and it is dark 23½ hours a day here so I decided to improvise. I stood the watch face down on the bathroom light whilst I cleaned my teeth last night to get a bit of a boost. Then I forgot it.
This morning it was still there whilst I showered and shaved and when I remembered and took it down I nearly burned my fingers on it.
20 minutes later it stopped and I suspect it will never run again. The face is deformed from the heat and the second hand is twitching like a recently "pulled" chicken.
That's 2 watches in a month that have somehow left me, the first sold on eBay and then lost in the post so I had to refund the buyer and this the second.
At this rater I'll run out in a year or so!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:02 pm

    Buy a Timex.
    I hear that the electron accelerator broke down because it was run by men who refused to read the instructions.
    Oh well.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:42 am

    Enter it for the Turner prize as a comment on global warming.

    ReplyDelete