Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Devil May Care


I have just finished reading the latest James Bond book that was written by Sebastian Faulks in the same style that Ian Flemming did. Having not read any of Flemming's Bond books, it is difficult to say how well he did in replicating his style, but I can comment on the book.
I enjoyed it in the same way that I enjoy watching the older Bond films. The book contains every stereotype of a Bond story, there is a bad guy with a physical disfigurement and a strange side-kick. There is of course a woman and a secret base hidden away from the world.
It was good read, fast moving and difficult to put down, but I was surprised that it really was like reading a book that was published 50 years ago. I was happy that it was set in the 50s/60s but I think it would have been better if it had been written in a slightly more modern style. Maybe that was never the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment