Friday, June 04, 2010

New Cassette


Well the new chain caused more problems than it solved when I went for a ride with the bike club last night. Obviously one of the consequences of living in a fairly flat area is that you tend to use 2 or 3 gears most of the time and apparently I had worn those out sufficiently on my cassette that the new chain was skipping over the teeth of the cogs.

That meant that I had to get back in the car with my bike this morning (noticing on the way that I had yet another flat tyre) and go back to the shop again to spend a really stupid amount on a new cassette. I really can't believe how much a SRAM Red cassette costs and I am certainly not going to post it here for 2 reasons, firstly, at least one person will point out that you could buy a complete new bike for that and secondly that MK and other wives may realise how much money we are spending on this stuff.

It's rather expensive because it is machines from a solid block of stainless steel. This is supposed to make it hard wearing as well as lightweight, but I am not sure about the durability to be honest...


I did get some useful advice about which race wheels I should buy though...



Next race starts at 08:00 tomorrow so it will be an extra early morning...

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:50 pm

    yep.
    We are happier not knowing that you spend more on a cog than we spend on a bike.
    As long as your family don't go hungry whilst you fiddle with your bike, I suppose it doesn't matter.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:27 am

    Good of you to section that casette just for a blog pic.
    Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:39 am

    Cassette ? you play it, I'll sing it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:03 pm

    how many wives have you got?

    ReplyDelete