Sunday, August 10, 2008

Book Review


I have recently read The Road by Cormack McCarthy and was expecting a lot given that it has won the Pulitzer prize. After all, wasn't Clarke Kent always trying to win one of those? or was it Peter Parker? I forget.
Anyway, this was a thoroughly miserable book from start to finish. A post apocolyptic tale of misery and more misery intersperced with slight less miserable moments. I don't know who would enjoy the book really because it would simply make anyone dipair.
It is beautifully written and imaginative, but really the best thing about it as far as I am concerned is that I got it for free!
I'll try something more cheerful next, I hope...

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:41 am

    One to avoid!
    Do you want "Lovely Bones" back - I have room if I remove one of my two T-shirts!
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:32 am

    The more obscure and morose the book, the better the chance of a literary prize on the grounds that only the literati will persevere to read it, and so relieved are they when they finish it, they give a prize to the author as a mark of that relief, when it's they who deserve the prize for reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:28 pm

    That's exactly the review I gave it when I gave you the book. I thought his descriptive writing was so good that I read "No ciuntry for old men" MUCH more depressing!
    and then his border trilogy All the pretty horses The Crossing and City of the plains.
    I just love good description - even if it is about cleaning toilets. If I can "see" it I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:29 pm

    wrm btw

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:42 pm

    They talk about it so that everyone knows that they have read it & they feel superior to mere mortals who read for pleasure/self improvement/ because they belong yo a book club.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:51 pm

    I don't belong to a book club!
    wrm

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think you were being accused of that, it was a sweeping generalisation about those who read literary fiction and bore others with it. I read history and bore people with that when I am being most boring

    ReplyDelete