Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Austria and too much thinking time...


Today I am in Austria, we flew into Munich this morning at an ungodly hour and then drove over the border to Suben. I spent the day in a sweaty meeting room discussing VAT and other stimulating subjects before we set off for our rather nice hotel in Shaerding.

Whilst I enjoyed the VAT discussion enormously, I am afraid that my mind did wonder from time to time and today I have mostly been pondering the subject of achievements. Not long ago (at the weekend actually I think), MK explained to me that she was resigned to moving around the world on a regular basis (to cut a long story short) because I am a miserable git and the grass will always be greener on the other side. Having pondered this for a while, I have come to the conclusion that this is not the case. At the time I had a feeling that my itchy feet were driven by something more positive than simply not liking where I am. After all, I didn’t move to France because I didn’t like Tamworth and I certainly didn’t move to Denmark because of any negative feelings about Manchester. In both cases it was simply that I wanted to add some interesting experiences to my life. Each time that you manage to move to a new country and survive the experience, you achieve something to be proud of. That is the challenge: move, settle, learn the language a bit and become part of the scenery and then what? Try something new.

This has been something of a revelation to me, I have spent some miserable hours on bicycles wondering why I was doing that. Was it really as silly as having something to show off about to colleagues and justify my existence beyond any lingering feelings of inadequacy? No, I don’t think it is (entirely). Firstly I don’t generally show off much and secondly I do these things for myself and the motivation is that feeling of having achieved something. I need to have something out in front of me as a challenge whether it is Ironman, marriage, emigration, MBA, fatherhood, 24 hours solo on a mountain bike or whatever takes my fancy next. What is important is that there is something out there that I want to do and I can take aim for otherwise why should I get out of bed in the morning. I will do the 24 hours solo at some point…

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:12 am

    I think that there is a period in life when the "I" has to become a "we" & personal plans have a lower priority.
    For my generation this period was very long, lifelong for married women, I think.
    Enjoy the VAT discussions.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can confirm that g has criticized people over using "I" when she uses "we" for at least 40 years.
    I have been refusing to accept gender generalizations for just as long. I don't think generation or gender are anything to do with it.
    wrm

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing incompatible with personal goals and being married and having a family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. but you should note that the two "William" commenters, while closely related, are not the same person.
    wrm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:16 pm

    Do you know VAT you are looking for ?
    Contentment is the Philosopher's Stone.Without it the rich are poor and with it the poor are rich.aj

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:52 am

    I think that wrm misunderstood my comment.
    I am a contented soul, seeking to comment, not criticise.
    Retired, sunshine, a big TV sreen, Wimbledon fortnight - what more could one (m or f) wish or?
    The first year that I have been able to watch.
    g

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stand corrected
    wrm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:41 pm

    Be happy with what you have and enjoy life

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:53 pm

    Will Buddha comment on my blog as well, please.
    g

    ReplyDelete
  10. If everyone was simply happy with what they had then we would never get anywhere. It is not a matter of wanting more, but of wanting to experience more. This is not a meterial need at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:18 am

    "There's nothing incompatible with personal goals and being married and having a family".

    Complete bollocks! It's the ultimate constraint.
    GBN

    ReplyDelete
  12. That depends on what your personal goals are, but I stand by that comment. Plenty of people have achieved incredible things with spouse anc children. At some point some things have to be compromised, you decide what those are, career, money, free time, family time, etc etc.

    ReplyDelete