Friday, June 08, 2007

Book reviews




I am reading "This book will save your life" although my copy has more interesting doughnuts on the cover, it guess the contents are the same. It is really very good, I heartily recommend it to both GCN and EM who have been after book recommendations. I think WRM would also enjoy it although I am hesitant to recommend it to him for fear that he will see some similarities...

I have read a few books recently but this is the best of the bunch. The William Boyd book called restless was also very good, but not quite as good as my favourite book of his, Any Human Heart. (The New Confessions was good but a bit long)


Finally there is Mr Norrel and Jonathan Strange, this was very long (over 1000 pages of small print) and took a long time to read but was worth the effort, a sort of Harry Potter for grown ups with a bigger vocabulary. This one is certainly not for WRM, but may be something for a newly retired school teacher with plenty of time... maybe not, I don't really know.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:50 pm

    I'll read it when I'm there.
    "The Kite Runner" was v good.
    Now on "Shadow of the wind", which I am enjoying.
    I may read only childrens' books when I retire. "Winnie the Pooh" is challengingat times.
    m

    ReplyDelete