Thursday, May 19, 2011

Long weekend

Tomorrow is "Big Prayer Day" in Denmark so most of the country will all be in church giving thanks for our high levels of smugness and contentment. Or not as the case may be. Danes pay an optional church tax (well, I actually chose not to) so they don't actually need to attend church other than for Christmas, weddings, funerals and oddly enough, confirmations which appear to be a big thing here.

Apparently we should also be celebrating with some slightly different bread rolls called hvedeknopperne.  As I recall, they are ever so slightly spicy, sort of like a hot cross bun without the fruit, cross and most of the spices.



Anyway, I will be giving thanks for my two good legs, an expensive bike and the predicted good weather and get out for some fresh air and exercise during the day and then off to some friends for a barbecue in the evening. I think we may even try to get the family out to the forest for a wander around and to smell the pine trees.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:53 pm

    Sounds an excellent plan - wish I could join you.
    I'm hoping that G will be giving thanks for his two good legs as well as he has a mole removed at 3.00pm today at G Eliot.
    Howto loose weight without dieting!
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:24 pm

    And now for something completely different, Have you received any prints of railway posters ? aj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:53 pm

    There is a grammar book called 'My grammar and I (or should that be me)', by Caroline Taggart and J.A Wines, if thats of any use. E

    ReplyDelete