Wednesday, October 06, 2010

House Surveys

Yesterday we received the survey reports for our house. The actual survey was only moderately annoying, there is a coding system which indicates whether something is purely cosmetic (K1), will develop to cause damage (K2) or is critical (K1). We of course had several K1s, some of which I can understand, some of which are laughable such as a creaking floor in the living room and the lack of ventilation under the living room floor. On the whole though I suppose it was OK.

What has really bothered me though, is the energy mark that we got. This is like the marks on electrical appliences and cars which goes from A+ to G and indicates how much energy you waste by having it. We are in the lowest category - G.


That means that we get the same as a tent, the new double glazed windows and front door and the 100mm of insulation in the loft apparently could not be any worse. I understand that this is an old house and we could benefit from new a new heating system and that another 150mm of insulation in the loft would help but is is surely there should be something to differentiate "some insulation" from "no insulation" like an old farm house or barn. I wonder how they differentiate between A and B, I am sure that there is a bigger gap between our house and one with no insulation and single glazed windows and one that uses heat from waste water and one that doesn't.

That made me cross! can you tell?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:08 pm

    Your house is lovely and warm. As I sit here using the laptop as my source of heating and swathed in fleeces I think my house would rate I for Igloo on your system. aj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:30 am

    Do they accept bribes?
    m

    ReplyDelete