Thursday, September 03, 2009

Basement Projects

Our basement is a complete disaster area at the moment. There aer doors and windows leaning against the walls and unwanted furniture scattered about the place. The results of our flash flooding is that some areas are clear whilst others are pile with stuff and there are leaves and dead flies all over the place. This weekend I will clear it out as much as I can, sweep up the dead insect and leaves and vacuum the cobwebs from the windows so that I can begin turning it back into a usable space. I can then press on with the other unfinished projects that are sitting down there
  1. Paint the inner window frame parts for the dining room and put them back in place
  2. Prepare and paint the kitchen cupboard doors
  3. Build my new bike

Here in lies the problem, there is only one of the above jobs that I want to do and it is the one I should do last. No prizes for guessing that building the bike is more fun than painting anything but I must resist the temptation, if only because there is a significant risk of losing something important in the mess whilst trying to put it all together.

Anyway, whilst MK and DK are away next week and I am home with J, I plan on spending my evenings getting on with the basement projects and getting everything set up for a winter of riding the trainer down there and trying to keep everything tidy for once.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:09 pm

    Since J has endless energy perhaps you could harness it into some fun shovelling and set him up with a training bike in the bowels of the house. Better still attach your bicycles to your electricity supply and pedal for power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:32 pm

    We are doing some clearing this week. Anyone want croc tortoises? We seem to have a lot. They might look good in a Danish basement.

    Meanwhile, T has drawn and written notices tonight for all the bedroom doors upstairs. Our room has been earmarked as a 'disabled toilet'.

    E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:35 pm

    We shall be thinking of you all next week, especially DK.
    I'm sorry that I shall be working or I would have come over to help -harnessed to the hamster wheel.
    Prioritise!
    9 degrees here & deluges throughout the day - very quiet.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:38 pm

    I shall count the tortoises next time I go to Bicester & seriously consider whether it is a suitable home for the rather fine specimen I have in the laundry!
    m

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:43 am

    YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE KITCHEN CUPBOARD DOORS YET?
    I left them already half done for you!
    is the outside of the house all painted then?
    wrm

    ReplyDelete
  6. The outside of the house is about half done - 2 coats of paint on the ends of the house, the paintr needs to paint the underside of the roof which may happen this weekend depending on the weather.
    The kitchen doors were 2nd priority after the wookwork in the dining room and living room so that the furniture could go back. That is coupled with the fact that I would rather lick the basement floor clean than actually do the damned awful job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:41 am

    Do not lick the basement floor clean!
    m

    ReplyDelete