Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Merchant of Venice


We don't get much high brow culture these days, but when G called to ask if we wanted free tickets to the Merchant of Venice in Stratford on Tuesday night we leaped at the chance. The larger Swan theatre is being refurbished at the moment so we were in the smaller theatre up the road which has seating along the sides of the stage as well as in front of it. We sat on the right hand side and had a pretty good view of most of the action.

It wasn't long before I remembered that it is good to get an idea of what the story is before getting to the theatre when Shakespeare is involved, and the general absence of scenery or props didn't help too much with context. I was happy to realise that I could follow what was going on and happily didn't fall asleep and snore loudly like the guy in front.

On the whole it was very nice to have a night out and I enjoyed the play although I couldn't help feeling that the play itself had more to offer than this performance delivered, but what do I know?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:54 pm

    There's just insufficient space to list it all here!
    Glad that you enjoyed it.
    Hope that you all slept well.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume that you mean there is not enough space to list what I know?

    ReplyDelete