Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Flap jack to museli

On Friday J and I made some flapjack to take to the race at the weekend. This is the kind of put it all in a bowl and mix it up cooking that suits J perfectly and he could have eaten some before it was cooked if he hadn't lost interest. The idea of making cake was exciting, but in reality he is not often very interested in eating cake so he went to play with something else instead.

I was tarting up the recipe I found in Leith's by adding stuff like sunflower seeds, raisins, sesame seeds and honey. I decided to reduce the amount of syrup I added a little because I thought the honey would hold it all together. I was wrong.

When it came out of the oven I let it cool but when I tried to cut it up, it crumbled rather too much to be able to take out of the house. We ate some, but then I had a great idea - turn it into breakfast cereal. I crumbled it onto a baking tray and added some more oats to soak up some of the buttery sugaryness. Mix it all up and put it back in the oven to brown.

The result: Some of the best crunchy sweet breakfast topping I have ever eaten, it seems that half a packet of butter, honey, sugar and syrup make for a great addition to the oats, even better than the previous favourites Cafe Fanny and Fiona's granola. I am going to have another go at this but try to make the recipe a little more healthy.

5 comments:

  1. Can't some people please write some comments, I am beginning to feel like nobody is ready this anymore. I can see that I have visitors, but it would be nice to know who you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:09 pm

    It's great to hear about another granola recipe. I recently baked granola 'bars'.

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:20 am

    Burried in work these weeks, but your blog is a nice daily break and a good G-vej update, keep going ;-)
    Let's have a barbecue together soon, would like to try the new grill!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:54 pm

    We have all been away in Cornwall - no phone signals in the house at all, which was really rather nice - completely away from it all!
    But I'm sure now we are all back you will get some comments
    You missed a good week! Tim and Jessie sharing bunk beds was hilarious, and they made pretend toilets in the sand, which was hilarious for us, but seemed to scare off everyone else on the beach who weren't in our party...

    Elaine
    E

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:32 pm

    we're back!
    I have a feeling that the addition of butter, sugar & syrup would improve many foods. We tell ourselves that this is not the case in support of healthy living & staying alve.
    m

    ReplyDelete