Friday, May 23, 2008

The junk's gotta go

We have a lot of bikes in our basement, some of which rarely see the light of day and many of which do not really work as well as they ought.

I began collecting bits to sell on eBay last night and quickly collected a set of carbon triathlon bars, a carbon rimmed tubular wheel, a titanium railed saddle and a stem or two. The have been photographed and will be flogged in due course.

Last night I swapped the wheel on my blue Pompino for another wheel that I have had for a while and it just won't work since it is narrower than the frame and doesn't sit in the middle of the frame. This came to a head this morning when I set out to ride to work, I got about 5 metres up the road before carrying it back to the house and rebuilding my road bike to ride to work.


As a result of this fiasco I have decided to sell my Cannondale mountain bike that I am not riding anymore since I got the Salsa, the On-one In-bred frame and forks and the Pompino. The Pompino was one of the first (if not the first) single speed road bike available in the UK before this whole fixed gear thing took off and it is a great idea. Unfortunately it was very badly executed, the 135mm spacing at the rear makes is incompatible with just about any other bike, the frame geometry is not good and made worse by the fork steerer tube being cut down so far that I can't fit any spacers to get comfortable. The final nail in it's coffin is that the wheels are horridly badly built and are literally falling apart. It's going!


I am hoping to build a replacement that will be my ultimate do anything commuter bike: comfy position, 1 chain ring, mountain bike rear mech, disc brakes and 700c wheels. It will probably look very much like this in the end.


If anyone wants any of these bikes or bits then let me know.

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:53 pm

    Cracking sales pitch for the bike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claud Butler has many many air miles and you have to keep it!
    wrm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:11 pm

    Your blog wheely gives boring a hole new meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:35 am

    the wheely boring comment, read by M and I at Roja in Denver, qualifies for a wit award! Probably AJ If to ask me.
    Going to see Randy Newman Now
    Wrk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:18 pm

    I meant Rioja and wrm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:09 pm

    Too much rioja, if to ask me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:07 am

    It's all been said.
    Sounds like a trip to the tip!
    Do you have any other pat-times?
    m

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:39 pm

    part-time postman as a pastime perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:57 pm

    Sorry,Bob the builder, of course.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:16 am

    If the newest of the spare fridges from the basement is still for sale, we would like to buy it. There has been some discussion, but the numerous good arguments clearly won :-)
    /L

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent, I seem to have sold the fridge! The Claud Butler is not going anywhere, it would be a bike if I could find a seat post to fit...
    Now does anyone want a show jumping saddle and some tack?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wheely boring is not really that witty is it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7:06 pm

    It was wheely, wheely witty!
    Brakes on the Claud Butler sale, then.
    Basement price on the fridge!

    ReplyDelete