Thursday, November 15, 2007

Windowsill


One of the many remaining tasks in the kitchen is to construct a windowsill that must be level with and ultimately join up to the sink unit. The problem here is that all of the kitchen units are on adjustable legs so the height is not set... yet.
I guess I have to decide what the height will be and then make the windowsill to fit that height, I have no idea how to attached the piece of oak that I have bought to the concrete ledge, so any advice would be handy. My current plan is to use another piece of wood under it which I will screw to the concrete and then attach the oak to that, but I am not sure how as I don't want to make holes through it.


I also have a rather clever new mobile phone that connects to our wireless internet access and has all of my email on it. To be honest I don't think that will be such a good thing when I am actaully w0rking and it is rather large thus creating an unsightly bulge when it is in my pocket. (The phone that is!)

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:13 pm

    Maybe you should let the drain and plumbing fittings decide the height of the sink-unit. Sometimes these things can be a pain in the neck to adjust.

    /Lars

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tap has flexy pipes and I am making a new drain so that should be OK. O have remeasured it all today and see that the window is anout 87cm above the floor so I think that will present the biggest problem. Perhaps the sink will be at a higher level than the windowsill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:02 pm

    You may be able to use pairs of clips fixed to the underside of the plank you are to use as a window board. I have in mind some in two parts with a pair of tongues that slide behind one another. (can you imagine that?) alternatively, if you can set the levels properly you could use 'no more nails' ie glue (!) to secure the plank to the bearers.
    You are only really using the adjustment in the units to level the units. There is not a massive range of heights of kitchen units though with the height difference between you and MK a compromise should be somewhere near the 'standard'.(ie probably unsuitable for both of you). G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:10 pm

    I'd just wheel the unit in & put it in place & line them up.
    Shall I come back & help with the "no more nails"?
    Hope it goes well.
    Are you both pleased with the flooring?
    m

    ReplyDelete