Monday, November 05, 2007

Kitchen Diary: Day 5

As you can see, the kitchen is now only a room formerly known as the kitchen. I couldn't turn off the water yesterday so we worked around the tap and I can take this off now that I have purchased the necessary tool and turned off the water. I think it is worth noting that the Danes call an adjustable spanner a "Swedish Key".


Bent has helped a lot over the weekend so I am somewhat ahead of where I expected to be. Today I will begin fixing the walls and try to work out how and where the power supply will be for the extractor hood. There are in fact 3 vents in the wall but none of them in the right place. i think I will construct some cunning duct work and use the most suitable one for the outlet.
The other issue is what to do with the remaining vents and the back of the outdoor power for the lamp. Should I decorate over it or leave it accessible?


Left is the vent I plant to use, top right is another vent and bottom right is the back of the outside power outlet for the light.


Finally here is MK eating a Burger King with a knife and fork on a plate. She is the epitome of style and sophistication, you can tell I didn't pick her up in Leeds!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:29 pm

    And you do have a variation of a jug (the Danes have yet to discover "the Handle")
    What sophistication!
    AJ & I will feel very much at home.
    I look forward to seeing your numerous kitchen vents.
    AJ would do customised paintings to make the most of them in exchange for B&B.
    Should she bring her acrylics?
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:24 pm

    Ducts and bends will reduce the airflow from your extract hood. This will result in grease being precipited insdid the ducts, with a risk of fire in the ducting or the fan.
    In a single story house you also have the option of venting up through the roof.
    WRM

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way am I going to make a hole in the roof for the extractor fan, it will be so long that any grease will never make it out. Given my lack of experience, the last thing I need is an inlet for rainwater directly into the kitchen!

    There are grease filters on the hood and the total length of the pipe will be approx 40cm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:19 pm

    Am glad to hear you have water, when do you expect to have the cooker fitted ? or are we destined for a salad diet ? will I return looking ike a lesser dane ? ajen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:19 pm

    'supersize me' has nothing on your diet for the next three weeks!
    now you have done the easy bit on with the serious work. Firstly deploy your assistan(ce or ts) carefully - skilled tasks like looking after millard minimus will at least keep them out of the project area. I would retain access to the electrics if you can. Murphys law states that if you don't you will need to.G

    ReplyDelete