Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bike race report

Well the first bike race of the year is over and it went as usual, I got dropped.

I have been training fairly consistently since March and I think I am actually in pretty good shape, and the first 2 laps of the 5 we were racing went reasonably well. There was just one problem - me. I had been sitting happily in the middle of the pack and not having trouble keeping up with the group. At some point there was a group of 4 riders making a break up the road. I thought it may be an idea to try to get up to them, but I resisted the temptation and stayed in the group. A couple of km later the same thing happened again, but this time my ego got the better of me and I decided to chase them.

Bearing in mind that our average speed at this point had been 41kph (25.5mph) I was being really naive to think that I could catch up to them on my own, but I went anyway. After 2km of turning myself inside out trying to catch them, the group swept past me and the break away and I was left trying desperately to recover from my effort.

I felt like I had recovered in that my breathing as back to normal but the next few accelerations through a village and some sharp corners left me struggling to get back into the group each time until inevitably I was left riding on my own.

I did another lap on my own and then called it a day and went home to watch the Tour of Italy in the tv and get the barbecue going.

We had a quiet bank holiday weekend with J in Hamburg with T&B to watch Denmark play Brasil at football. We relaxed, dithered in the garden and I had another nice long bike ride in the sunshine yesterday. It's raining again today so maybe that was all the summer we're getting. It's happened before...

No comments:

Post a Comment