Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Physio and witch doctor

I had my first appointment with David Bonde yesterday to begin the treatment for my back. I have been getting a lot better over the last week and have not really required any pain killers or had trouble moving around. I have followed advice to avoid sitting down as much as I can so I am still spending my relaxing time lying on the floor, but I can now sit long enough to eat meals.

David gave me a very thorough examination and did a lot of pushing and pulling, twisting and prodding, only some of which was unpleasant.

It seems that the herniated disc is probably not pushing on the nerve any more and he was impresed by how quickly I seem to be recovering. I now have some exercises to do once an hour which are hopefully pushing the herniation back into place and improving my core strength and breating in such a way that will support my back. Apparently some of the pilates techniques we have been using were not helping. Apparently my core strength is not too bad despite doing nothing for a while and he thinks that the prognosis is pretty good for a full recovery. All in all it was good news and I left with a spring in my step (on the right leg anyway).



I am generally feeliung much better, but I still need to take it easy and the only "exercise" I am allowed to take is walking and swimming. I am planning to get myself to the pool again at some point becuase I am risking turning into a giant marshmallow with the current levels of inactivity.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:58 pm

    Ah yes, the well known marshmallow syndrome, the just deserts for a couch potato.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:13 pm

    Chocolate-dipped or toasted.
    Glad that all is going well.
    Swimming was really good for my back.
    m

    ReplyDelete