Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Now what?

After another fairly bad night I really struggled to get out of bed this morning and the first 5 minutes or so of hobbling about were excruciating. However, after some pain killers and a bit of a stagger around the house, things started to loosen up and the pain subsided.

It is a rather strange position that I find myself in at the moment, I am working hard to stay in good spirits and maintain a positive attitude despite the fact that 2 weeks ago I was racing my bike and in the best shape I have been in for several years and now I can't tie my shoelaces.

The new plan

  • The first thing I have done is to put myself on a strict diet so that I can avoid getting fat whilst getting no exercise at all. My aim is in fact to lose weight so that I put less strain on my back in the future.
  • I am aiming to get down below 90kg which was my target last summer to make up for the lost muscle mass as well
  • The rest of the bike racing season seems to be written off so I will take some advice from physiotherapists or whoever I have to see in order to make sure that I can get back on my bike in the right way and at the right time
  • I am probably going to change my mountain bike from so that I can get some suspension at the back as well as the front and take some of the pressure off my spine
  • I will get  proper Retul bike fit done for the start of next season for my road bikes to make sure that my position on the bike is not contributing to my back problems
  • I am going to work really hard to make sure that I don't just get over this, but come back stronger than I was when the injury happened.

I'm going to fight back!

1 comment: