Sunday, July 13, 2008

Harvest time

Today we have started harvesting our fruit. (We have been eating peas from the garden for weeks already). Since we put some netting over the blueberries the birds have not been able to eat them so we now have a bumper crop.
J ate a few and we are trying to decide what to do with the remainder. I think I'll eat all of the raspberries for breakfast!
The crop of gooseberries has been much better and there are still some on the bushes for future collection. Faced with this enormous quantity of fruit, I was not sure what to do with it all. I settled on gooseberry muffins. I have however learned a coupe of important lessons during the baking process, firstly, if it says butter milk, then don't substitute cream and secondly, if you put hot stuff into the cake mix then the baking powder fizzes a lot and the raising agent for the cake disappears into the kitchen. They are crap.

3 comments:

  1. very impressed with your berries and great to see D with his eyes open. He looks hndsome and not at all new-born
    wrm

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a shame I wasted the berries. I think I should have made a fool, there is cream in the fridge and they are rather nice. Perhaps there'll be enough fruit for that later in the week.
    D is doing fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:26 pm

    D looks gorgeous.
    Did you eat both of the raspberries at the same meal?
    m

    ReplyDelete