Thursday, July 03, 2008

Another perfect ride

20:30 yesterday evening:

Whenever I leave the house on a bicycle I have certain expectations of how the ride will turn out. Whether it is the usual road loop or a planned long ride with some other people, you roughly know the route and you can see what the weather has in store for you. What you can't predict is how much you will enjoy it.

Last weekend I got really soaked on a 1½ hour ride around my usual road loop. When it started to rain 5 minutes into the ride, I thought it would be miserable but it was warm and I had a rain jacket with me so I actually enjoyed the rain and it made a nice change.

There is something special that happens from time to time when riding and you become aware that this could be the best ride of the year - the perfect ride. That is the ride when the weather is just right, you feel good, strong and fit and your bike is working perfectly. This normally happens once a year and you know when it is happening.

The amazing thing this year is that it has happened several times. Last night was another installment of dry, hard packed singletrack, evening sunshine and the bike working perfectly. I had a great 1½ hours hammering around the forest and then got home to a big bowl of koldskål.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:50 pm

    Sounds wonderful.
    Can you eat it hot as well?
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. only in tea or coffee as I recall

    ReplyDelete