Wednesday, November 02, 2011

NaNoWriMo

National Novel Writing Month runs through November with the fairly wild idea that anyone can write a 50 000 word novel in a month. It started as a US thing (hence the National bit) but has become a global event with writing groups all over the place.

I had some idea that I should get myself together and write one. After all, it is only about 1600 words per day, how hard can it be?

Well it seems that it is hard. I had a guitar lesson last night so I only sat down to start after 9:00 and despite having thought about it quite a lot over the last 2 months, I still had no idea where to start a story. I did start one and wrote 442 words, about a third of what I needed to write. That is not such a problem in itself, I could catch up if I had time. The problem is that I am pretty busy with work at the moment and I have a Danish exam in a few weeks that I have paid quite a lot of money to enter and to have lessons for. It would be silly to spend all of my time and energy writing an inevitably crap story in English (and I have no intention of doing it in Danish)

Perhaps I'll just put it off until next year, but there is something about the whole idea that I can't quite drop from my head, it's just a shame that the idea I can't drop is that of writing a book and not an idea for a book which would be quite useful given the circumstances

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:47 am

    Loved the title Nano Wrimo. What a wonderful idea. Thought long and hard. With a family like ours a roman a clef suggests itself, obviously changing the names to protect the guilty. So far have got half the title,"The.....". Well maybe next year. aj

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have written about 1200 words so far but I can see that this isn't going to happen this year. I will do it one day, but not in November.

    AJ, I think you can do it if you put your mind to it. Have a look at the website linked in the blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:55 pm

    Write a novel in your own time, so it'a good, or as good as can be.
    aj could do it.g

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:59 am

    So I have joined a creative writing group at a rather posh little theatre darling, and let me tell you...steer clear unless you want to become odd, odd,odd!!! (Of course I realise the irony that I must be odd myself to be there, but there are scales of oddness, and believe me, they are all at the other end!!). This term we have been writing about signs. This week the challenge is to write a short story, play or poem about a misunderstanding which leads to a twist in the plot. Please feel free to do it for me, and I'll get the odd bods to critique it for you! Be warned, its a vipers nest and they can be harsh as I have learned!!
    E

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:13 am

    Don't feel you can't write in Danish, or join a Danish writing group. Amongst the odd bods (most of whom are published) there is a French women who can genuinely hardly string a sentence together in English and who each week brings a scene from the 'film script'she is writing in broken English. Honestly its painful but they all take it very seriously. I have to hold in my amusement at it all til I'm safely back at home!)E

    ReplyDelete
  6. The key point there is that she is French!
    I need to get better at Danish. Just churning out the same mistakes again and again just re-enforces them in my head so it's better not to do anything at all (at least that is my theory)
    Sounds more or less dreadful but if the entertainment outweighs the dreadfulness, then it is ok, rather like my guitar lessons :-)

    ReplyDelete