Monday, September 05, 2011

Intermittent Fasting

I have spent quite a lot of time researching healthy diets over the last half year. It seems that the advice of the last 20 years to eat a low fat diet and concentrate on calorie counting is not really getting the full picture and the subject is much more complicated than I realized. Calories are not all equal and simply matching calories you consume to the calories you burn doesn't completely explain what's going on.

As an experiment this week (and maybe next week too), I am going to try some intermittent fasting. The idea is that you eat the same amount of food that you would normally eat, but within a restricted time periods, basically you miss a meal or two every couple of days. That can be 18 hour fasts where you miss breakfast and eat between noon and 6pm or 24 hour fasts where you skip breakfast and lunch on day and then dinner the next. The 24 hour option seems a bit hardcore for me at the moment, but I plan on missing some breakfasts this week to see how it goes (starting today). If I feel OK, I may try the 24 hour version next week.

When I do get rid of the last 4 or 5 kilos that I want to shed in the next couple of months, I suppose that I will have to find some sort of happy middle road in terms of eating. I am told that my current diet will not allow me to get below 12% body fat anyway because my body will simply hold on to more of the calories I consume at that point, but it may be nice to compromise from time to time with my regular daily eating and not save up all of the treats for 1 day per week.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:56 pm

    Why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:24 am

    I've tried some things with fasts too at times.

    Been watching the Vuelta a Espana over here, kinda weird with Cavendish/Goss & Farrah all out. are you going to attend the World Cycling race in Copenhagen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why not?

    Definately going to watch the cycling in CPH, i think it may be a once in a lifetime opportunity to see the world championships on my doorstep with a Brit even looking to be in with a shot of winning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:14 pm

    Definitely!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:50 pm

    Is fasting the same as a quickie?

    ReplyDelete