Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Birthday plans

As some of you will remember, it is my birthday this coming Saturday which apparently calls for some celebration. When I sent out the invitations to the Danish based family members, the sun was shining and I had dreams of walking in the forest and a barbecue in the late summer sun.

Despite the very encouraging weather forecast, the reality is that I don't want to try and feed 9 people out in the middle of nowhere with a wood fire and nowhere to prepare food or wash anything so I have decided to cook at home and then have a stroll afterwards.

So far I have decided that I would like to do braised lamb shanks for a main course, but I still have to decide on a starter (or nibbles depending on what I can come up with) and a dessert.


Being on a diet and having one day a week in which you are allowed to eat sweet things makes for a great deal of indecision. During the week you think of so many things you'd quite like to have that my the weekend, it is almost impossible to decide between them and you end up trying to eat them all. This is a recipe for belly ache and doesn't appear to help weight loss too much either although things are going well again this week.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:52 am

    You could go for a power fat first course & a really indulgent desert, with ice cream.
    B'days in your younger days were marked with t-bone steaks.
    I forget what deserts were.
    You can't have too many calories in a desert.
    I hope the parcel arrives in time.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, the parcel arrived a couple of days ago and was spirited away by MK. I think there was one from aj yesterday but that too has been hidden.
    I bought 2 lamb shoulder joints last night which I will slow roast along with 12 bottles of wine which we probably wont manage to finish on saturday lunchtime

    ReplyDelete