Monday, June 27, 2011

Room for improvement

It was another active weekend for us. J was at a friends birthday party on Saturday afternoon and the rest of us were invited to the extended party in the evening. I spent the afternoon painting the living room ceiling again with some turpentine based paint which has thankfully remained white when it dried. 4 hours with one hand above your head and looking upwards has some odd effects but thankfully, MK agreed with me that the finish is good enough and I have put the curtains and furniture back where it belongs.

Sunday was my first (real) bike race of the season. I was out by 06:20 to drive to the north of Copenhagen for the 08:01 start. My only real motivation for going was to collect my racing license that I need next weekend in France, but it seemed churlish to drive all that way and not take part. The race was 70km conveniently made up of 10 laps of a 7km course. I knew I wouldn't be able to stay with the group for the duration as I am not fast enough. I haven't been doing any real speed work so my expectations were low. I did manage to stay with them for 25km before I got dropped. I then rode another 25km on my own before I decided that I'd had enough and retired. It's a bit humiliating to be honest, but I think it is just a part of bike racing and you have to accept that it happens. I hope and expect that I'll be able to hold the 40kph average that the group rides at by the end of the season and then maybe I can think about a full season and some points next year.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:46 pm

    Use a long handle on a roller and stand on the floor.
    For the painting - cycling I can't offer anything.
    wrm

    ReplyDelete
  2. it had to be a brush to get in between the wooden slats.

    It's done now anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:00 am

    These "Happy-clappy" sects do it for hours on end, without the added burden of the paint roller.
    Perhaps the odd "Alleluia" would have helped.
    Well done to keep up, you'll have J with you before long.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:49 am

    Why?

    ReplyDelete