Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Loss of identity

It is now 8 weeks and 2 days since my last bike ride and I am really disappointed to have missed a whole summer of riding because of my back. I may be able to get back on my bike next week for some short rides, but I will be in dreadful shape and I know it is going to be a long time before I am in a position to go for a decent ride again. I am still hoping that I will be able to train properly again by the end of the year in order to be in shape for next season.

In the meantime, I have tried to take advantage of the newly acquired spare time to get some stuff done around the house, so far this has been limited to the kitchen project, but I have now set my sites on getting the basement decorated and sorting out the driveway to accommodate 2 cars side by side. I suspect I will write more on these at a later date.

I miss the cycling, the competing with people and the pure escapism of getting out for a ride either on my own or hammering along with a group people; on my mountain bike or on the road with the bike club. I still consider myself to be a cyclist and I know I will get back to it in due course, but by not cycling, I am becoming a non-cyclist and I don't feel good about it. One of my first ideas when I was stuck lying on the floor was to try and loose my remaining body fat both for the sake of my back and my cycling abilities. That is, of course, easier said than done especially when you stop doing the exercise that you are accustomed to and replace it with inactivity. I don't think I have gained weight, but some of it has certainly changed from muscle to fat and that isn't a good thing!

So what now? I will get on with the house projects to the best of my abilities and I am restarting the weight loss program from today. It will be the same approach as last summer so cutting out starchy stuff, sugar and fat to some extent. I will try to ease myself back into swimming and keep as active as I can.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:10 pm

    How about the swimming - you were a good swimmer, you could go early/late.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are only open late on Tuesday and Friday (Friday is out) and I need to help MK in the mornings, but it is a good idea. Maybe lunchtime in the sea...

    ReplyDelete