Thursday, April 02, 2009

Tour of Flanders


This Sunday the Tour of Flanders will take place not too far from where I am sitting in Belgium. A couple of years ago I rode the route in the "sportif" ride that is open to the public on the day before the main race, but this year I'll just be watching it on the television.

The race is extremely tough, it is about 270km long with about 40km of cobbles and 16 "bergs". These bergs are short and very steep hills, often cobbled and so steep that often the pros end up walking up them when they get there in bigger groups. The race is brutal and I can't wait to attack our very own ironing "berg" whilst I'm watching on Sunday afternoon.
I'll be doing my own little Tour on both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. I have a 12 hour mountain bike race on the 1st May and I am nowhere near ready for it yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment