Thursday, February 26, 2009

Parents evening


I suddenly felt very grown up when I realised what was going on. I had simply been invited to Js nursery with MK to discuss how he is getting on but when we started talking, I realised that this was, in fact a parents evening thing.

Throughout my school career, parent evening was something that I more or less dreaded. It was the time when all of your mediocrity would be analysed in detail and the conclusion would more or less always be the same: "Could do better..." "should do better if he tried harder" and so on. As an aside, it has taken me about 20 years and a little help to realise that being told that you are lazy throughout your school life does not mean that you need to believe that you really are lazy and that everyone else in the world works better/harder than you do simply because they are not you.

Of course we are not measuring academic performance here but it was nice to hear that J is a pretty normal little guy. He's a bit shy and scared of the bigger boys although he's not afraid to tell them if he doesn't like what they're doing. His social skills are improving and he is basically doing fine.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:47 am

    Probably the best blog you've ever posted!
    Excellent writing and good news.
    I just had a school report from 1962 - kindly found and sent to me by g saying all the same things. Unlike you I just believed them.
    wrm (my blog hibernating a little longer)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realise that it was so outstanding, but it really did take me 20 years and some help to get over the consequenses of school reports. Maybe it was the photos that made it work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:02 pm

    No it wasn't the photos it was the writing. Interesting thoughts, well described. Better than workout plans and flat tire statistics. Maybe I'll blog my school report if I haven't lost it already. That is unless my anonymous commenter says "please don't"
    wrm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:48 pm

    You did not get mediocre reports throughout your school life - you were always a star at Shustoke school,you were on the gifted & talented register & had a scholarship to Bablake.
    The "could do better if he worked harder" comment applies to all but the 0.5% of students who do nothing but work.
    You did well at Bablake & had lots of friends.
    I well remember A level results day & the odd results day from Imperial, but now that yu are grown up & successful, who cares?
    I'm sure that charm everyone & be a great success.
    Delightful photos.
    g/m

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:51 pm

    PS. The tulips have had it.
    Buy MK some more flowers!
    m

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:02 pm

    Charm, lazy -- who are we talking about here?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not me that's for sure

    ReplyDelete