Thursday, June 28, 2012

Diet Changes - Going Paleo

The paleo food pyramid

About March last year I changed my diet to lose weight and it worked last year. Since last autumn though, I have not lost any weight and have struggled to shift the few pounds that I gained over Christmas when I relaxed my eating.

I don't really need to lose a lot of weight but I am interested in not getting fatter again and I would like to get leaner and thinner so that I can go faster on my bike and not repulse people when I take my shirt off. After quite a lot of research I have decided to make some changes to my eating that should help with fat control and also make eating a bit more enjoyable than it has been.

The Paleo diet is based on what a caveman ate which is somewhat misleading because it suggests that it is based solely on some crackpot idea. However, there is a lot of scientific evidence that continuing  to keep out refined carbohydrates, sugar and grains should be good for me. At the same time, I am going to drop bean and pulses and eat some tubers instead particularly sweet potatoes should be good apparently. I am also going to eat some fruit which is great at this time of year as there are so many wonderful berries around and I have decided (rightly or wrongly) that it's OK to have cream with them.

I'll report back on the results but so far I can say that I have managed to get away from the weekend cheat days which left me feeling bloated and a bit crap and at least a kilogram heavier each week.

No comments:

Post a Comment