Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Ossobuco

Apparently that means "bone hole" (wait a minute, this is not meant to be rude) .This is an Italian dish that I have discovered since moving to Denmark and i made it a few weeks ago when we had some friends come for dinner.
Before:

After:

It is essentially a slice through the leg of a cow (well a calf actually, that is a young cow, not the part of the leg...) I think I cooked it a bit too much, but that is the problem when you plan to make ox tail and can't get the right meat at the end of the shopping trip, so we improvised. Most things are better after a few hours bubbling in a bottle of red wine (well tough bits of meat anyway)
Whilst I was checking the spelling of Ossobuco I happened upon a site called cooking for engineers, that I think may interest somebody.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:29 pm

    hi.... just from the italian translation- osso- that means the cow- and buco is just the bone- so quite logic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:29 am

    I had an M&S "Count un us" ready meal.
    I've forgotten what it was, but it was pretty good, as was the glass of merlot.
    Now sitting printing off 9-5s reports, again, signing them as they come through, v e r y
    s l o w l y, as I failed to notice that the font had changed in one box, when I thought I had completed them at 1.00am on Friday.
    How many "ls" in "pillock".
    (I don't know if that is rude, it may be anglo saxon for "knee cap"
    They've finished! I can go to bed.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:26 pm

    Who is this anonymous ignoramous?
    OSSO means bone - as in ossify (turn to bone).
    Buco means hole. Nothing to do with cows necessarily.
    Sometimes in restaurants they give you a special spoon to scoop out and eat the bone marrow!
    Pillock, as I recall, once won a competition for a word which sounds rude but isn't. It IS in the dictionary meaning "stupid person" but the origin is 16th century English - from "pillicock" meaning penis. It is a northern English expression.
    WRM (full initials, following the example of GBN, to avoid confusion - actually the only thing in George's comment on my blog that DIDN'T confuse me!)
    Too many G's, M's and W's about!

    ReplyDelete